On this page:
Updating your Dekko profile | Sharing for approval | Approving a document
DekkoSIGN has the following features:
- Digitally signed signatures, images, comments and notes
- Sharing for approval from one or many people
- Sharing as read-only
- Sharing with distributed file ownership
The electronic signature is a special JSON object with the following fields:
- The ID of the original message
- The ID of the response message (if available)
- The timestamp of moment the message was sent
- The timestamp of moment the signature was applied
- The hash of original document
- The hash of the signed document
- The digital signature for the all the content above, signed by the signatory’s private key (and verifiable using the signatory’s public key).
Upon receiving the signed document, the original requester’s system checks the electronic signature and shows the result of this verification. The system will not create the approved PDF for download unless all of the signatures, comments, images, notes, etc. from all approvers pass verification.
Add details to your Dekko profile
An important step in the DekkoSIGN function is adding your details and signature to your Dekko profile. To do this:
- Press the settings button in the top right corner of the Dekko web app and then press “Profile/account settings”: In this menu you can add a profile image, company, position and signature image. All of these details and files are secured by the same process as regular messages and files Dekko.
- To add a profile image press the “Browse” button in the “Your photo” section, and then select an image from your computer (ideally this image will be square or close to square). After the image has uploaded you need to crop it to fit you see fit:
- To add a signature to your profile perform the same steps as above, but in the “Document signature” section, and crop the signature view to fit your signature:
- Lastly, you can add your company name and position for one-click adding to documents:
- Press “Save” to finish updating your Dekko profile.
Sharing a document for approval
- Before sharing a document, familiarise yourself with adding contacts, working in DekkoCIRCLES, uploading files to DekkoVAULT and sharing files in DekkoVAULT.
- To ensure document preservation DekkoSIGN can only be used to send PDF files for approval
- A document can be owned and approved by more than one user
After uploading your document to DekkoVAULT you are ready to send it to your contacts for approval. To do this:
- Select the document and press “Share”. The sharing menu will open and you will be presented with a few options:
Notes: Documents can be approved by a configurable pool of people, not just by an individual or a simple list. In the above example, the document being shared will be marked as ‘approved’ after a signature it applied by John, Katrina, and only one of the the three approvers Bob, Geoff or George.This document is also being shared with Martin and Steph. Martin is an admin of the file, so he will be able to make upload new versions of the document before it is approved, add comments/images/notes before it is approved, and is also able to view the document’s audit log. Once approved he will also be able to download it. As a regular share recipient, Steph will be able to download the document once it is approved.
- Once you are happy with your approval configuration press “Save” and the document will be shared accordingly. Notes: Until a signature has been applied to the document, any owner or admin of the file is able to upload new versions of the file and add comments. Once a signature has been applied owners and admins will no longer be able to make any changes.You can stop sharing or change the approval requirements and ownership of a document at any time. For example, if a document is originally shared for approval with three users and a signature is gained from one and the other two are no longer required, you can go to the share menu of that file and remove the two, and the document will now be marked as ‘approved’.
- Until the approval requirements of the document are satisfied it will be marked as ‘awaiting approval’: If an approver or fellow file owner/admin adds a note or comments to the document without signing it, it update and be marked as ‘review’:
As the owner of the file you can upload a new version of the document at this stage. To view any comments made on the document press “awaiting approval” to view them. To view notes press the “notes” button and they will be shown:
- To upload a new version of the press the menu button on the document and then “Upload”:
Previous versions of the file will be available in the “Logs” interface:
- Once the approval requirements for a document have been met the file will be marked as ‘approved’. If the approver(s) have added notes they will also be available, and the audit log for the file will reflect any comments, notes, images or signatures added to the document:
- If you want to share the approved document with another Dekko you can do this by selecting the file and pressing the “Share” button, following the same steps as a regularly shared file.
Approving a document
When a document has been shared with you for approval it will appear in your DekkoVAULT:
To view or approve the document press “awaiting approval”.
You can place comments, images and watermarks and attach notes to the document and save them without a signature and continue your progress at a later time by simply pressing “Save”. If you do this the document will be marked with ‘review’ for yourself, the file owner(s) and other recipients.
Adding a signature
Signing a document can be done in two ways – placing an image of your signature, or a one-click eSignature.
To add a signature image press the “Sign document” button. Your signature will be placed on the document and can be repositioned and scaled as you see fit:
DekkoSIGN will remember the position and scale of your signature for the next time you approve a document.
Text can either be freely written or pre-filled elements in your profile (name, company and position). To add text press the “T” button and then fill out, format and position the text:
Adding images and watermarks
Images and watermarks can be added from either your computer or DekkoVAULT. To add one from DekkoVAULT press the corresponding button with the DekkoVAULT icon and then select the file to place on the document:
Watermarks will appear in the same position and with the same scale on every page of the document and can be semi-transparent.
Note are per-page, are attached to the document and remain separate in the entire approval process. To add a note press the notes button and then add its contents: